Subscribe to slhs_fiftyniners

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Pope Will Visit Us On January 15-19


While in elementary school, I remember being told that our Lord, Jesus Christ, said to Peter: Thou art Peter, the Rock, and upon this Rock I will build my Church. The teacher went on and said that this meant that He was establishing His Church and Peter was It's leader, the very first Pope of His Church!

The very first pope that I was aware of was Pope Pius XII but in those days it wasn't easy to travel so the pope was almost always in the Vatican. Pope Paul the VI (1963–1978) was the first Pope that I ever saw. When he came to the Philippines in the 70s, I parked my car with my wife Agnes and our family of three along EDSA where the Papal Entourage would pass, and we were amply rewarded with a few seconds of unobstructed view of the Pope amiably waving from an uncovered car!

It was an ordinary scene  in a very ordinary place that I've passed a few hundred times, but in my mind "that Papal scene" was ethereal, with the Pope suffused in an aura worthy of Hollywood! Believe me, he was!
(Come down to earth, Jun!)

Today we look forward to Pope Francis'  five day visit to the Pilippines come January 15, 2015.

 

And I am tuned in to http://papalvisit.ph/  for news on Pope Francis!
 

No comments: